Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Springtime Firsts

...I'm sure there are people in the universe with good timing, but then there's me, happily working away on wooly accessories on the first 80-degree-days of the year.  They were just freak 80-degree-days, though, so it's not as silly as it sounds!  And I'm always cold, I'll probably get some springtime use out of the projects I'm working on, one of them being the yellow/green blob up there, which will someday be a headband.  Also in the above photo, the current stock of bookmark yarnbombs to be completed, tagged with recommendation notes, and tucked into library books.  (Suggestions about what they should recommend are, of course, still welcome!)

And the winner of the bookworm-bookmark giveaway, as chosen by Random.org...
 ...is Paula of Knit and Seek! :D

Also on the book front, I was intrigued to see this copy of Harold and Maude---apparently not just a movie!---on the shelf at my library.  I watched the movie (which actually preceded the play version, unusually enough, the guy who wrote the screenplay adapted it into a stage play later on) in college and it broke my heart with a sledgehammer.  I haven't read a play for a long time, and I'd forgotten  how different it feels than reading a novel.  Interesting.

Last but not least, here's a teasy photo of my second heat-wave-wooly-stuff project, which should be appearing in full on Friday.  Right now it's pinned out on some Sponge Bob play mats on a picnic table in my yard, drying in the sun.  It's Baby's First Blocked Shawl, you guys---although it's in bulky weight yarn [beautiful bulky weight yarn, hand-dyed by an awesome Ravely member with whom I made a yarn/patterns trade a while back], so it sort of doesn't count.  But I'm still excited about it.  And should probably be standing guard over it with a broom to make sure the local woodland animals don't try to steal it to make nests or something.

While I do that (or just, you know, go out to check on it sporadically, possibly I don't need the broom), check out the awesomeness of WIP Wednesday and Yarnalong. :)

9 comments:

  1. Hi Kathleen,

    The headband looks lovely, can't wait until I see the finished object. I'm enjoying the colors in your shawl too, I'm a shawl lover, and wear them whenever it's cool outside.

    I'm working on some hot items too; last evening I complete my first scarf, which was instantly claimed by my eight-year old daughter. She picked out the colors, and now I'm going to make one for myself. I'm still unsure what colors I'll use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the yellow-green wool you have there, looks lovely! I am sure it will make a great headband.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea that there was a play version of Harold and Maude, that is definitely one of my favorite movies. Lovely projects! I especially love the yarn bombing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colour of yarn for your headband!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kathleen,

    Me again :-D

    I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award. (You can find more info on my Blog).

    Thank you for being such an inspiration, and for your kind words.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your idea of yarn bombing books. Love the idea. Plus your book worms are so beautiful. You are using wonderful colourful yarn for your headband. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that's so cool. I like reading some plays. I find Oscar Wilde is a good one to read but hate reading shakespeare as it's easier to understand on stage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My timing is usually off on things too. I'm really wanting to knit a jumper right now, you know, as we head into spring/summer. Of course, I couldn't probably wear it here in the summer, but I digress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. HI Kathleen - just wanted to let you know that I second Natalie's nomination for the Versatile Blogger Award :)

    ReplyDelete