Wednesday, April 11, 2012

A Very Bookish Wednesday.

...and one with time to link up my bookishness (and it's even National Library Week!) with WIP Wednesday and Yarnalong, hooray!  While I have a huuuge stack of library books around at all times, these are the two of my current stack that I'm actually reading.  I chose Lauren Groff's Arcadia mainly because of its pretty, colourful cover---yes, fine, I do sometimes judge choose a book based on its cover.  Which has led me to some amazing books!  I'm not that far into Arcadia yet, but it reads pretty well so far, although it's a bit more...I don't know, "literary novel" than is usually my cuppa.

But what I've been more absorbed with these past couple mornings (morning is my reading-time lately) is Lois Lowry's The Giver, which I picked up hoping to get back to the roots of the recent Dystopian-Novels-for-Younger-Readers trend (e.g. The Hunger Games, Matched and Crossed by Ally Condie, Divergent by Veronica Roth, Delirium by Lauren Oliver...).  I'm sure I must have read The Giver back when I was actually a child, but I don't remember it at all, and I'm really impressed with the way Ms. Lowry has constructed her particular dystopia, and the very real, sharp feelings of anger and terror and aloneness (but also of love and discovery) that are being conveyed through the main character. 

I may have to have a bookworm recommend this one---which brings us to the yarny, WIP-ish part of my post.  The little coiled-up cuties you see on top of the books in the above photo are bookworm bookmarks, made from a super-simple pattern---basically you just...chain a bunch, and then make two double crochets into the first thirteen or so chains.  And then you have to weave in ends and sew on eyes (I'm using beads), which is the only less-fun part. ;)

I've been remembering how much I love yarnbombing lately, so I've been making these guys up in various scritchy acrylic variegated yarns, attaching notes, and tucking them into relevant books at local libraries.

My first worm, in a charming pink/purple variegate, recommended the Judy Moody books.  (Which are too much fun, and very much a direct and delightful descendent of Beverly Cleary's sublime Ramona Quimby novels.)

 The next two...

...recommended Sunshine by Robin McKinley, which is totally a better class of Vampires for Teenagers fiction than a certain other set of novels in that genre; and Kimchi and Calamari by Rose Kent, another book I chose by its cover and really liked.  (And I even corresponded with the author a bit, and she is lovely.  I'd never written to an author before! It was exciting!)

 My most recently released worm was made in zombie-green-fleck, and nestled appropriately into a copy of the first volume of The Walking Dead graphic novel.

And here's where I'd like some input from you, Dear Readers.  I have (as per the first photo) two bookworms ready for tagging-and-release, as well as two more who need eyes and ends-woven first, and I'd love suggestions from you about what they (and future, still-on-the-skein bookworms) should recommend!  What have you read recently that you loved?  What book do you wish more people would read?

I think I'll turn this into a giveaway, actually.  Leave a comment, and you'll be entered to win not one, but two bookworm bookmarks (which, okay, are not the most impressive project/prize ever...)---one for you (in your choice of colourway!), and one to release in your own local library or bookstore. :D

20 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping over to "visit" me !! Your wormies are so adorable! I read The Giver several years ago!

    http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2012/04/how-to-tuesday-bunnys-birthday-dress.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh... I love books and will have to check out The giver I've already read Arcadia.

    I simply adore the crocheted bookworms. It brings back some nice memories too... as a child I remember a Sunday schoolteacher gave me a set of crocheted bookworms, I felt so special. I remember I made created s story just for her, and gave that to her along with a thank you card I'd made.

    She was so thrilled with my reaction she made me other crocheted and knitted items.

    Let's see... currently I'm listening too The Christmas Wedding By James Patterson, much prefer reading the book, but seems like the only time I can do 'extra reading' is when I'm crocheting, and so I'm combining the two activities. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to add...
    I wish more people would read anything by J.R.R. Tolkien, although my favorite would be Lord of the Rings, I read the books years before I saw any of the movies.

    Oh by the way, my eight-year old daughter loves Judy Moody, she's devoured all of the books. I've read them too. You're right they do remind me of Beverly Cleary... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I often choose a book by the cover too - with so many books on the shelves it's sometimes the only way!

    Love the bookworms, I'd be so thrilled to find something like that in the library :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, I think you might be my hero! LOVE the bookworms, and the idea of using them to recommend great reads. Brilliant! Now you have to go out and read the Gregor the Overlander series by Suzanne Collins. She wrote it prior to the Hunger Games series, and it's for a younger audience, but still a super fun adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, cuuute! That is such an adorable idea, I love it :) I'm a big fan of choosing books by their cover, I've even been known to do it with CDs!

    I'm currently reading David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas. To be honest, I don't think it was the easiest book to get into (this was my second attempt at reading it) but once you're in, you're hooked. It's such a clever idea, and the stories are all nested into each other like little Russian Dolls. Magical.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea! What fun to find a little worm lurking on the shelves...

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea the bookworms are! Too cute! I would be beyond thrilled to find one while browsinig the shelves at the bookstore!

    I am wanting to also read Arcadia...mainly because I fell in love with the cover as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is such a unique and wonderful idea. What a nice suprise :-D

    I am also one of those who definitely judge a book by it's cover - unfortunately! But it hasn't led me astray yet!

    My recommendation for younger readers - anything from Meg Cabot (e.g.Princess Diaries); Adrian Mole; Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal snogging! Loved these, my girls did too.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. My grandma used to crochet those bookworms for us kids :) Lovely!! Have fun with the yarn along.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I have read some great books just by picking it from a beautiful cover too :)
    Love your idea about leaving bookworms at the library :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely adore Inkheart by Cornelia Funke, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate Di Camillo and City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (if you love YA dystopia, definitely try that last one. It's much "younger" than Hunger Games, but still really good).

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just read The Giver a couple months ago. Not sure if I want to move on to the rest of the Trilogy. Loved the Hunger Games, but was not so impressed with those that followed.

    I just read These is My Words.....fell in love! Just those kinds of characters you miss when the book ends.

    Are you on Goodreads.com?? If so....I'm swandiva (of course!)

    I love your bookworm idea :-) I need to try to get my Paige into a series. Madison LOVES The Magic Treehouse, but Paige has yet to find her sweet spot in books.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fantastic idea! I love the bookworms and I wish I was at your library, lol. It would be so much fun going round finding them all. :) Some of my favourite fantasy books are the valdemar series by Mercedes Lackey and her Elemental Masters series, I love medieval murder mysteries by Susannah Gregory and Micheal Jecks and some of my all time favourite children's stories are Anne of Green Gables and the rest of that series :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just adore the idea of yarn bombing. I would love to do it myself! Your bookworm bookmarks are just fab, I can just imagine the joy the bring people as they seek out books. I've read and enjoyed the Giver as well, and it sort of kick started my YA reading. I just finished the Betrayal of Maggie Blair by Elizabeth Laird and enjoyed that. It takes place in Scotland near where I used to live, so that's also a bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love those bookworms! What a great idea.

    Fleur xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Okay, so first let me say that I *love* this pattern. I don't know much about crocheting, but this is definitely doable, and looks like a great first pattern for my 8 year old. Plus, it will use up some of my bits! Also, I didn't read "The Giver" until I was an adult, and I was blown away by it.

    Some of my favorite books- any by Anne McCaffrey, The Phantom Tollbooth (we just read this one as a family and it is officially our family favorite now), and Understood Betsy, another family favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh these are too cute!

    i have game of thrones borrowed from a friend which has been sitting on my shelf for three weeks without being read.
    Until i can find a way to knit and read.
    The last book i loved was the latest Sophie Kinsella novel. A nice fluffy easy read

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness... yarn bombing a library with bookworms is just genuis! So freakin' cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is such a great idea :D And your worms are adorable! :)
    Amy
    http://dontfeedthebirdsplease.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete