Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Secrets and Sprites.

Have I made any progress on my WIPs from last week?  No, not really.  (Except for seeeecret progress that will be revealed when the results of said progress reach their new home!)

Did that stop me from starting a couple new projects?  Not at all!

The one up there is actually kind of a secret, too, although I couldn't resist some strategic button placement to reveal its silly anthropomorphic nature.

And my current reading is obviously present, too---this book (Maggie Stiefvater's The Scorpio Races) is an odd one.  I'm halfway through it and still not quite sure about it, in some way.  I think in part just because it wasn't what I was expecting. I knew it was about horses, but I wasn't counting on some of the horses being like...scary, carnivorous, vaguely magical horses who have to be tempered with iron and want to eat you.  I'm not sure how I feel about that!  I kind of overdosed on fantasy novels as a kid, so magical animals tend to make me back away slowly.  (The horses don't talk, though, so there's that at least.)  There's something compelling about this one, though, so I'm keeping on.  Malevolent magical horses aside, the characters and setting are interesting, the tension and scariness of the plot are effective, and it got inside my head enough that I think there were horses in my dream last night.

Back in the yarny WIP side of things, there's also this little guy, who will be an FO before the sun sets today!  He's going to be a Miyazaki soot sprite.

Imagine my glee when---as someone who cannot make symmetrical stuff. Ever.---google image search revealed to me that soot sprites' eyes are supposed to be a little wonky.  I made mine from Crayola Model Magic, which isn't the most durable material, but it doesn't require baking like polymer clay, which can be a very good quality.

Linking up, as usual, with  WIP Wednesday and Yarn Along.

11 comments:

  1. i love the eyes!!! they give it such character. kudos to you for handmaking them! i really want to try out some polymer clay but not for sure where to start. maybe i can find a class on how to use it. :) i love secret projects! so fun when you get to reveal them. oh the anticipation!!!! thanks friend for stopping by my place. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to watch My Neighbor Totoro when I was growing up and I knew what that black thing was before even scrolling down to see the movie image (although that image isn't from the same movie...same sprite I believe?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to make Soot Sprites for the longest time but just haven't gotten around to it. Love Miyazaki's movies!!!!!!

    I'm really glad you mentioned Crayola Model Magic, I forget about it but it is a pretty good alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read tons of magical, fantasy, paranormal books..but never have read anything like you described..I've got to review that book..thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Soot Sprites are soooo cute!!! My kids would love one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super secret projects, how fun! I love the little soot sprites, they have always been my favorite (well, next to the dust bunnies in Totoro). You found the most perfect little eyes for him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The soot sprite is going to be so cute if those eyes are any indication. What an adorable idea! My son absolutely loves Studio Ghibli films so I can't wait to show him your finished soot sprite.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read some of Maggie Stiefvater before, so I will wait and see how you feel when you finish this book before I check it out :) Your sprite is going to be super cute, those eyes are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hehe. Making a soot sprite is an excellent idea. The eyes are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. :D starting a new project while you're already working on several others...so very recognizable! :) But that makes everything so much enjoyable, doesn't it!?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute little guys you are working on there.
    Enjoy the book - it sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete