Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Sneaking Back Into Blogland, Day Two.

Hi, lovely people of the crafty blogosphere. <3  I've been in kind of a weird, living-in-two-different-places situation lately, and as someone who's very much a hobbit---happy about creature comforts and clutter and Home and second breakfast---all the shuttling back and forth stresses me out and leaves me with no time and energy for blogging. (I'm around more on Ravelry, though, so please do add me to your friends over there if you like!  Same bat time, same bat channel username.) But I miss seeing and talking to you guys about your amazing projects so much, and I'm in one place for today, so I'm going to breathe in, breathe out, share some love. 

As for what's currently on my hooks---one project that's actually (I can't believe it) appropriate for the weather: a crazy-rainbow-crochet-thread bikini top.  This is the first time I've done pineapples, and oh my gosh, they're magic.  They just...decrease themselves.  I'm still not great at keeping my tension in thread, but this is turning out pretty well anyway, I think.  I'm not sure yet how I'm going to make the two separate pineapple-boob-cozies you see in the photo into a single entity yet, but I've promised myself a bike ride around the block (at dusk, mind you) wearing this when it's done.

I've also (much less appropriately for the too-hot-to-live weather we're having here) started a second pair of socks!  And I'm going to cheat just a little, and show off the first pair, since I'm still happy and proud about them even if right now I don't want them anywhere near my feet.

 I totally understand why people like making socks so much now.  Not only is it awesome to wear socks you've actually made (and with nice yarn! that feels all sweet and cushy on your foot!), but they're an amazingly portable project---one hook, small ball of yarn, and in my case, a nice easy pattern that you can memorize and just keep hookin' on without very much concentration needed. 

And the red skein in the photo? Represents seeeecret ideas, for someone who very well may be reading this entry! 

Re: books, I've been drawn to the portability of paperbacks recently.  This morning, I finished Naomi Shihab Nye's Habibi, which I've seen on library shelves for aeons but never checked out.  It was an interesting read, really lyrical in a way that made much more sense when I looked at the author's little biography blurb and saw that she's a poet.  I'm also slowly making my way through Hound of the Baskervilles, my first Sherlock Holmes book, and finding it completely delightful. 

Now for the good part, in which I go see what everyone at WIP Wednesday and Yarnalong is up to. :D

17 comments:

  1. I've missed your updates!

    The pineapple bikini top looks like it's going to be awesome! I would want to do one myself but then I'd have to wear it, and that's not happening. :p

    The socks look fantastic, too! I've become quite addicted to socks, myself, though I knit mine. I wonder how crocheting them would compare? (I should do that one of these days.)

    I hope you're doing well, weird living situation aside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too much traveling takes it out of me too, I'm glad to see your back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hound of Baskerville is great...and I love the idea of the bikini top..and woohoo..socks! at first I thought they were the black and yellow stockings...which are very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice socks! The bikini top is cute too

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kini - yahoo takes me back to a different time and place when my sister made one. Enjoy wearing it when you're done. Gorgeous socks maybe I should try crocheting a pair myself.
    Enjoy the stories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to visit your page once again!
    I have added you as a friend on Ravelry :-D.
    Love the bikini top, so colourful and such a nice shape!
    Well done with the socks - looking great.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, socks are awesome ;) Glad you understand it now (I'm currently having to explain to non knitting people that yes, I am indeed knitting socks out of a £30 skein of yarn. Because I deserve awesome cashmere socks!)

    Love the bikini top, not sure I'd be brave enough to wear it though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love the socks, I've just looked up the pattern on ravelry and will give them a go. I made my first pair of socks recently and I agree that they are perfectly portable and very, very satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That bikini top caught my eye straight away I LOVEEEEE it.
    Totally with you on the sock thing - it's terribly addicting

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooo, LOVE the rainbow bikini top! You can't get more summery and fun than that! So happy to see you in this space again. It has been a weird summer for me too in terms of blogging steadily. Every once and a while, it's nice to take a break and recharge. Can't wait to see what that wonderful red yarn is going to become.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha, love the bikini top! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've missed hearing from you! I'm sorry to hear about the stressful living situation, I hope that everything settles down for you soon! Also, I love the socks! They look fantastic, I don't blame you for not wanting to wear them a whole lot right now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great socks! I love knitting socks in the summer as they are small and don't rest on my lap. This heat wave has been a beast though! Not much knitting getting done by me because of it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I understand how it goes with being in two different places - I'm in the same situation right now, and it is ridiculously hard. So, sending happy thoughts and understanding to your neck of the woods!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the bikini top--have fun with it!! Your socks are great, crochet socks are a new idea for me, and I love it!! Be careful with your Sherlock consumption, I find them addictive once started :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE the socks. Your words make me less intimidated to try my hand at making a pair. Good luck with the boob cozies!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, I can't quite imagine wearing a knit or crocheted bikini top, that takes some bravery! It looks great so far, though.

    ReplyDelete