Friday, July 27, 2012

Tentacles, Soot, Beach Glass, and Peas. And an owl.

Just a quick post-and-run today with some recent FOs for FO Friday.  (Despite my temptation to try to show you everything I finished since I last blogged regularly in May.)  First of all, I'd like you to meet Ms. Petula the Purple Octopus.  Made from my favourite ever tentacle construction pattern, I hadn't done one of these guys to-pattern-size since making my first one ever about two years ago.  I forgot how plush the tentacles feel in two strands of worsted weight worked with a big hook.  This is also the first time I'd ever attempted crocheted eyes and eyelids on a cephalopod, and I'm pretty pleased.  I've already got some skeins selected for the next one.  I think some of these guys will have to be craft fair fodder this year.  People like things with tentacles and personality-imbuing eyelids, right?

And here's the soot sprite, all sewn up and perched in a dustpan for authenticity.  I love it when I start a simple project and manage to keep it simple.  Even with the eye-creation and blogging breaks, this little guy took no time at all.  Most of the crocheted soot sprites I've seen around on the interwebs are done in eyelash yarn, but I used a fuzzy alpaca-acrylic blend for this and just...fluffed it up at the end.  Way less irritating.  (Also, I don't have any black eyelash yarn.)

In the way of non-anthropomorphic stuff, I made myself this necklace a couple weeks ago using a piece of my beach glass collection.  I think this is the first time I've ever done anything with said beach glass besides put it in a jar and admire it.  This was also my first attempt at this kind of wire-wrapping, and at incorporating beads into crochet---both were pretty much a success, which is all part of the payoff for my slowly, slowly learning to start small with new techniques.  More beads may be in my future.

I also (okay, fine, this is going back to June---last one for now, I promise) indulged my love of Happy Rainbows! by making a useless-but-fun peapod garland (with an adorable pattern by the always awesome Trish of genuine mudpie).  There was something really lovely about selecting skeins and working with the ROYGBIV spectrum like this, so my next useless rainbow project is already on the horizon.  I'm planning to start hookin' it for the Ravellenics mass cast-on later today, in fact.

I've never done the Ravel-thingie games before, and I'm not planning anything big, I don't think.  (Except the insane part of me that wants to start a ripple afghan, but I think I can avoid listening to that particular inner voice pretty easily, all I have to do is remember that I'd be working into a base chain of well over 100 stitches...)  I'm eager to get into the Olympics themselves, too.  Gymnastics! Diving! Watching people who are awesome at stuff do said stuff, while occasionally learning fun facts about various countries!

What Olympic (or Ravelympiclennic) events/projects are you guys excited about?

Ooh, and a late addition---since Paula has received him (and made the sweetest. ever. post about him over at her blog, Knit and Seek), I can also reveal my seeeecret progress object, Wendell!

Wendell is a wedding planner owl, made in Paula's wedding colours and armed with a helpful clipboard!  I haven't made an owl for ages, and I'd sort of forgotten how much I adore them.  (Well.  The parts that don't involve sewing the wings and beak in, anyway.)  Wendell was actually a team effort---my mom ended up sewing on his heart applique in exchange for my sorting through some of her receipts so she could check them off on her credit card bill.  Skills exchanges for the win!

25 comments:

  1. Wow - everything is so adorable, I don't which to comment on first!! Love your trademark owl though - may be my fave... the necklace is beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah the soot sprite is so cute, he looks like he's been added in digitally! And the peapods! Amazing! Funny you should ask about exciting Olympic projects - I've just blogged about the most amazing yarnbomb that appeared near my home a few months back. Nothing to do with me I'm sad to say, but it is just brilliant! Have a look: http://www.lucyintheclouds.com/2012/07/2012-woolympics.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. What cute projects. All so different and all made me smile

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what great projects! I am so in love with that necklace. Beach glass is one of my ultimate loves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the soot sprite. He's super adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All super duper projects, I love the wee soot sprite too :D:D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you know my favorite (Wendell says, "Hi!"), but that octopus is pretty freaking amazing -- his eyelids are AWESOME! Also, soot sprite! So cute. Thanks again for the lovely package!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woah, you have been busy! I think that Ms. Petula is my favorite by far though, I particularly love how she is purple and reportedly very squishy. You should enter her into contests without a doubt, she is just too adorable! The soot sprite is also adorable, good idea to skip the eyelash yarn though, it isn't fun. The idea to make a necklace out of some beautiful sea grass was also great, it turned out so well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That necklace is so gorgeous :) I adore beach glass, although I have never saved it. Maybe I should start collecting it!

    Love the octopus, those eyelids are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have spent my life beside the ocean and have yet to find a piece of beach glass..! The simple silver swirl and crochet chain really let the glass be the star.. Wendel and Petula are a lot of fun..

    I've placed a hold on the book at my library..!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the rainbow pea pods-- so cute! And the beach glass necklace is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG - you ave so many awesome FO's. So much eye candy.
    I am seriously digging Ms Petunia - she is ace!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh my that octopus is incredible, the eyes are perfect. you know if I saw THAT at a craft fair, I would buy her in a second.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was just about to comment about how awesome the octopus is when I saw the Soot Sprite. Now that's the best. Really awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have been very busy. I think I like the sea glass pendant best. Hoping to see some Olympic cycling today. The route circles where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness!! You sure have accomplished a lot! I simply LOVE that octopus, he is so cute! And your sprite came out perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! A great assortment of projects. I love the sea glass pendant!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That pendant is so pretty! But the peas are probably my favorite. Super adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your soot sprite makes me smile :) I love them so much. All of your finished objects brought a smile to my face - and your sea glass pendant is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love all of these! It's the cutest soot sprite I've ever seen, by the way :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your projects, especially the octopus. Recently I stumbled upon the most adorable knitted octopus, so I'll have to make one of those. This past school year, I made a crocheted version for my daughter. She immediately attached it to her book bag.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cute projects. Love the beach glass necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  24. super cool projects! LOVE the soot spirit - now i want to make a bunch! and the bookworm yarnbombing in your older posts is totally awesome and inspiring! :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. argh, I love your soot spirit^^

    ReplyDelete