Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Hello, August.

Apparently the way I'm saying  hello to August is with terrible photography.  (Sorry about that.  Sub-par camera, bad light, in a hurry...)

Just a quick WIP Wednesday and Yarnalong check-in with my latest crocheted silliness---a shawl for the Ravellenics.  I'd promised myself I was going to stick to little stuff---toys and hats for charity, say.  And I'm still hoping to do a couple of those!  But I also got all caught up in the spirit of Challenging Yourself and Using Awesome Yarn, etc. etc., and bought a pattern I'd been eying forever for this particular skein of gorgeous yarn.

So I'm makin' myself up a Dinosaur Tail.  I'm so jealous of all of those amazing, spiky-beautiful Hitchhiker shawls you knitter-types make, and I need some spikes of my own.  I'm a bit sad at how much these are curling (such is crochet), and am hoping that a stern blocking when I'm done (which, spoiler alert, will probably not be in time for a "medal" in Shawl Sailing) will fix 'em.  It's a really nice pattern, though---just two super-simple rows, so it's easy to keep track of where I am, which is a most excellent quality.  And I'm loving working with the yarn and watching the colours pop up.

In the way of reading, I've been remembering my love for graphic novels recently (pictures! and so quick to read!), and am currently remembering that love with Sarah Oleksyk's Ivy, which is...harsh.  Its central character is a high school girl, and the blurb on the back praises the novel for being about high school as it actually is, which is true---and a little bit difficult, because it reminds me in a tidal wave of regret about just how awfully people behave and treat each other at that age, how much everything hurts and seems huge and unfair and makes lashing out seem like the only solution.  Eek.  Obviously the fact that it makes me flinch and feel retroactively mortified at my teenage self is a sign that it's well-written (and it's also wonderfully illustrated), but picking it up to read can be a mixed-bag experience.

12 comments:

  1. Love it that you're challenging yourself. That yarn is lovely and I can't wait to see your shawl finished.

    Thanks for the book review -- I too can remember the mixed bag that was high school. Maybe I'll put this book on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember jr. high being torture for some. High school didn't seem as bad, but I'm not sure I'd want to be in high school now.

    Pretty yarn. Can't wait to see the finished scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The picture isn't that bad, I like what I see! And.... I love all your work in the previous post, you ARE good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is certainly a wonderfully spiky shawl! You have going to have a great time with that project, I can tell. I cannot wait to see it start to take shape!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the colors of your yarn. It's so bright and cheerful. The shawl looks lovely also.

    It seems like a lot of the crocheters/knitters I've visited are making shawls. I'm currently knitting a lacy Diamonds and Pearls shawl. I love the simple lacy design.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, those colors are so awesome! I'm sure it will make a beautiful shawl, here's to hoping you get it done in time to enter. I love graphic novels and mangas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice colors popping in your shawl. Very similar to the Hitchhiker! I think it will flatten out once you block it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Your shawl looks lovely. The color is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the shawl you're working on! Blocking fixes most things so I'm sure it'll stop the curling for you :) I love the way the colours are coming out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow you're crocheting a shawl? that's awesome - I'm still on squares!!! haha. thanks for the sweet comment on my blog - have a lovely thursday xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love those colors! I can't wait to see it when it's done :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love it!!! i like the primary rainbow yarn. :o) who doesn't need a spiky shawl?!? i didn't see yesterday's post until today & i love all your stuff but that octopus is so cute! as always love me the owl too.

    ReplyDelete